One to one jujitsu Training
One to one training
Kyoshi Stephen McDade 8th Dan is one of the most highly experienced and highly qualified martial arts and self-defence instructors in the United Kingdom. He is an instructor of worldwide renown. He has over 40 years of experience in self-defence and became a registered Black Belt Instructor in 1983. He holds many coaching qualifications from governing bodies all around the world he is also NVQ qualified (City & Guilds) in martial arts and self-defence management and is fully CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checked.
Private classes are available at private venues and are available to Total Self Defence members, corporate clients, and the general public.
He has taught self defence techniques to armed forces worldwide, police tactical units, and security forces.
Private Tuition Fees
- A private class can be 1-4 persons maximum
- Group classes are 5 to 15 students
- Specified venue preferred (equipment matted safety area etc included)
- £80.00/hour up to 4 clients
- Classes with more than four are charged £10/hour/extra student
- Minimum hourly charge £80
Private Tuition May Suit You
A busy professional that does not have the time to commit to regular classes and would like to still take a course in self-defence or may wish to go through the total self-defence syllabus privately with some friends or colleagues. Classes can be specifically tailored to your needs.
Previous clients include; police officers, traffic wardens, underground staff, taxi drivers, nurses etc.
Tailor-Made Self Defence Tuition
Learn some jawdropping self-defence techniques that could save your life.
- All women groups- Self-Defence & Self Awareness
- Advanced training for senior Instructors
- Grading preparation classes
- Classes in self-defence against weapon attacks
- Self-defence for children (minimum age 8 years)
- Control and Restraining (very good for security sector)
- Traditional weapons – Tonfa, Bo, Sai, Nunchaku Short Stick
- Ground defence – vital in all self-defence situations.
Scroll left to see more
2nd Dan Jujitsu & 1st Dan Tae Kwondo, My name is John Armstrong and I have been training in jiu-jitsu with Total Self defence under the instruction of Prof. Stephen McDade since the year 2000 and I have reached 2nd degree black belt. I feel that Ju-Jitsu is not only an art of self-defence but is a very enjoyable training…
2nd Dan Belt Black In Jujitsu & Bedfordshire Police Officer Being both deterministic as well as confident I have found Ju-Jitsu to be a natural choice for me. I was eleven years old when I first heard about martial arts, and his had been heavily influenced by one of the greatest fighters, Bruce Lee. At a young age I had…
1st Dan Belt Black In Jujitsu. I first became interested in Martial Arts in 1987 when I left Cheshire to go to University in London. I felt quite vulnerable in the big bad city and took a self-defence course through college. I was very impressed with the simplicity and effectiveness of the basic techniques we were taught, I was also…
Stunning Black Belt Grading – Well Done! Jujitsu at it’s very best! Congratulations to our 6 new junior black belts and all those that took in this grading after missing last months. The standard was excellent with all techniques performed to an astonishingly good level. Well done team – you made your parents and your instructors very proud!
2nd Dan Black Belt Hitchin I started training in martial arts when I was 9 years old where I achieved an orange belt in Tang Soo Do and a first grade in Muay Thai, I only trained for about a year, but it always felt like I had unfinished business. I discovered Total Self-Defence Ltd when I was in my…
March 2020 Congratulations to our 6 new yellow belts and Andy, now a Green belt. Excellent Grading at the Stotfold club (Hitchin).
Protecting Yourself on the Street Jaw Dropping Self Defence Training for Women City streets are becoming ever more dangerous places for women. Jujitsu as a self defence system of awesome effectiveness and is highly recommended for women as it relies on leverage rather than strength. Awesome Video of Women’s Self Defence Techniques In today’s society it is essential that all…
This Girl Can – TV AD Amazing Nationwide Advertising Campaign Londrita and Bleta, who both train at the Total Self Defence Ltd in North London were featured in the national advertising campaign, This Girl Can, which encourages women to take up sport. The pic above shows the girls, father, Renshi Ibush Kabashi , proudly pointing at a poster featured throughout…
1st Dan Black Belt Hitchin. Like most of us who were very young in the 1970’s I was exposed to the magic of Kung Fu that Bruce Lee brought to our whole generation. Later this exposure was made even richer by Jackie Chan’s own comedy interpretation on the big screen. Despite being influenced by these hugely influential practitioners; I did…
Fantastic Black Belt Grading Stunning Jujitsu Techniques! Congratulations to our two new amazing Junior Black Belts James & Mikey who did fantastically well and passed their Junior Black Belt Grading It takes hard work, discipline, maturity, fitness and a training ethic second to none to achieve the level of excellence that they demonstrated throughout their grading techniques. Very well deserved…
3rd Dan Belt Black Jujitsu Instructor Steve started training at our Stotfold Jujitsu Club in 2003 after watching his children train. Kyoshi Steve McDade, our chief instructor, encouraged him to start training and has been a continuous influence and support since he started. Steve achieved his 1st Dan in October 2010 and is presently 2nd Dan. Quiet by nature, Steve…
Congrats to Sensei Mick Rothon 8th Dan Award Well done to Sensei Mick Rothon who has just been awarded his 8th Dan by our chief instructors for a lifetime of amazing contributions and selfless dedication to jujitsu.
World Renowned 8th Dan Belt Black Jiu Jitsu Instructor. First let me welcome you to our website and I hope you enjoy it whether you are a martial artist or novice interested in learning self-defence. I have held a Senior black belt grade in the Mother Art since 1983 and in that time I have been fortunate enough to have…
ITV at Total Self Defence Ltd ITV London News popped into our North London Dojo to interview Sensei Ibush, 5th Dan Japanese Jujitsu master, training with his two daughters, Bleta and Londrita. The daughters were spearheading the ThisGirlCan advertising campaign by Sport England aimed at getting more and more women to take up sports Very well done to Sensei Ibush…
I am from Kosovo, and while I was in my country I have been training in Judo and Karate for more than 5 years. But when I came to England I was very interested to start a new style, which is Ju-Jitsu.
Since I started training in Ju-Jitsu I have realised that I have got more confidence in myself and feel I can handle any situation far better than ever I could before because in Ju-Jitsu we use the power of the attacker and we learn close and distance self defence fighting skills including grappling etc
1st Dan Belt Black In Jujitsu. I was born 1995 in North London. At present I am a student at university studying for a BSc in Physiotherapy. I currently live with my parents in Enfield, Herts. I got hooked on jujitsu from the age of 7. My next door neighbour at the time was one of the instructors at the…
1st Dan Belt Black In Jujitsu. Before I started Jiu-Jitsu, I had practiced Judo for some years, being introduced to it at school when I was around 12 years old. Growing up with two older brothers, I had always found it essential to have to defend myself! I first saw Ju-Jitsu in action back in 1989, when I went to…
Soke Richard Morris, founder of Jiu Jitsu International, previous founding member of WJJF with Soke Robert Clark (9th Dan Jiu Jitsu), and director of BJJA, was one of the UK’s greatest exponents of Jiu Jitsu and responsible for popularising the art in the west and bringing expert instructors together from across the world…
Excellent End of Year Grading Awesome Demonstration of Dedication & Techniques Congratulations to another 2 new black belts this year, 9 new black belts in total for Total Self Defence Ltd. Paul Ridley and Kieron Hanlon did excellently. It’s been a 10-year journey for Paul – a fantastic achievement. Kieron did it in five years – another amazing achievement –…
Free class sign up!
- +What is TSD Ju Jitsu?
- TSD Ju-Jitsu is a martial arts club established in the 1980s, providing quality martial arts instruction to adults and children in North London and Hertfordshire. The style we teach is based on traditional Japanese Ju-Jitsu, which has been modernised to include effective self-defence for city streets.
- +What will I learn?
- Our syllabus is very broad-based, as jujitsu was the original ’mixed martial art‘ before that term existed. You will have the opportunity to learn devastating throws, powerful kicks and punches, and methods of controlling and subduing an aggressor using a variety of joint locks, chokes and strangles. You will also learn techniques to fight and defend yourself on the ground. All in a totally safe, controlled and co-operative environment.
Once you reach black belt level traditional Japanese weapons are taught including katana, bo, nunchaku, kama, tonfa and more.
- +Will I be out of my depth?
- Absolutely not. In fact, you may pick up our techniques faster as you will have no pre-conceived ideas from training in other styles. We will introduce you gently and gradually to the syllabus, which is designed to have an appropriate learning curve for absolute beginners.
Remember, even our black belts were beginners once! Many of our current students have done or continue to train in other arts, but equally, many come to us as absolute beginners.
- +Am I too young/old?
- We have taught people from the age of 5 years, up to students 70+ years. Several of our black belts have done black belt gradings in their fifties and sixties, so no, you aren’t!
- +Is Jujitsu good for women and smaller people?
- Jujitsu is one of THE BEST martial arts you can learn as a female or smaller person. We have had several female instructors and many female students over the years. As Ju Jitsu uses leverage, timing and the laws of physics to overcome an opponent instead of brute strength, it is ideal for smaller, lighter people and for women’s self-defence.
- +Will I feel intimidated?
- Definitely not. We’re not that kind of club! We foster an atmosphere of friendliness and co-operation, and all our senior students are expected to help out our beginners. They are normal people like you, who have just been training a bit longer.
- +Do I have to book?
- Please get in touch with us before your first (free) session so we can answer your questions and advise you when to come along.
- +Who teaches the classes?
Most classes are lead and overseen by either Sensei Steve McDade 8th Dan or Sensei Ibush 5th Dan. Our main instructors are NVQ qualified, first aid trained, insured and Enhanced DBS checked.
- +Will I get hurt?
Jujitsu is an incredibly safe sport, even though we are practising potentially dangerous techniques. We instil safe training practices, with every member taking responsibility for their safety and that of their training partner.
Injuries are very rare, but as with all sport, there is an element of risk. We have a good safety track record and find jujitsu to be much safer than team sports such as football, rugby etc.
- +What should I wear for my first class?
For your first session, you just need to wear a T-shirt and shorts or tracksuit bottoms. Please remove or tape over any piercings and remove jewellery and watches, for your own and your partner’s safety.
If you’ve previously done another martial art and have a uniform, feel free to wear that. Once you join as a member, you can order a club gi (uniform) from your instructor.